Position: Political Advisor
Institute for Essential Services Reform (IESR), an Indonesia NGO based in Jakarta, is preparing an initiative to make transform Indonesia power sector to be more sustainable, so it could contribute to the emission reduction pledge in the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC). The initiative will focus on transforming power system in Indonesia to integrate larger shares of variable renewables power plants. We work with the large spectrum of policy makers, utility, business, academes, and NGOs.
Considering the upcoming local election (2018) as well as national parliament and presidential election (2019), engaging political groups and key relevant stakeholders are crucial to increase the awareness and drive the political agenda to focus on the importance of the energy transition in Indonesia.
About the Position
Political advisor is newly created position in IESR for driving political and strategic engagement with government, parliament, political parties, and other key stakeholders in energy sector in Indonesia. This person is responsible to develop and implement political engagement plan and strategy, gathering data and information, conduct research on relevant energy policies, and maintaining relation and communication with key stakeholders. Political advisor will work closely with program manager, communication specialist and outreach specialist.
IESR is seeking a young, highly motivated and qualified candidate to join the cause to transform energy sector in Indonesia.
The key roles and responsibilities
- Develop, implement and evaluate political engagement strategy and activities;
- Conduct strategic research, gathering data and information, and craft political message;
- Monitor and track issues, and produce regular analysis;
- Build relations and liaise with political groups and key relevant stakeholders;
- Contribute to policy advocacy strategy and public awareness campaign strategy;
- Contribute to the policy recommendations of the organization;
- Advise Executive Director and Program Managers on key issues.
- Has a strong policy advocacy/journalist background with previous experience in stakeholder’s engagement within an organization (public/private/NGOs);
- Demonstrate good knowledge and understanding on stakeholder engagement, and government relation;
- Proven ability and skill to gather data and information and process them into a concise briefing;
- Demonstrate good understanding on Indonesia political landscapes and has inside knowledge of government institutions in energy sector;
- Insightful and ability to think innovatively and strategically in advancing communication of project’s ideas and outputs to outside parties;
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Demonstrate ability to work in team and maintain effective working relation with co-workers;
- Indonesian nationality.
Required skill and experiences
- A minimum of 5 years professional experiences;
- Excellent written skill, and proficiency in Indonesia and English;
- Good at interpersonal communication skill;
- University graduate, advance degree in laws, communication, international relation, economic development, or any related fields is an advantage;
- Familiar with energy issues is an advantage.
Full time contract is 30 months and can be extended, with 3 (three) months’ probation time.
Salary and benefits is competitive and will be commensurate with candidate’s qualification and experiences.
How to apply