Clean, Affordable, and Secure Energy for southeast Asia (CASE) is a regional programme that has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU) in April 2020, with an implementation period until 2024.
The programme aims to change the power sector narrative of transformation towards an evidence-based energy transition that robustly supports the region’s development strategies as it pursues Paris Agreement goals. CASE focuses on four main SEA countries, namely Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, in terms of energy demand and also foresees regional interventions. Composed of a wide range of organizations (nationally and internationally) and driven by strong regional cohesion and network, CASE will propose evidence-based solutions to the challenges met by decision-makers and build societal support around those solutions. CASE will directly contribute to the transition of the power sector towards an innovative, economically successful, and environmentally friendly model for SEA.
Overall, the CASE programme consists of five components:
● Output I : Research and evidence
● Output II : Transparency and Mapping
● Output III : Dialogue and action (Non-energy stakeholder)
● Output IV : Technical assistance (Energy sector)
● Output V : Promoting public discourse
CASE is a project led by GIZ GmbH (through its representation in four countries) in a consortium with country partners and two international knowledge partners in the field of energy and climate.
In Indonesia, the CASE programme is implemented through GIZ Indonesia, together with the Institute of Essential Service Reform (IESR), and supported by the international consortium partners. The political partner for Indonesia is the National Planning Ministry (Bappenas).
To support the implementation of the CASE programme in Indonesia, we seek a motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for:
Responsibilities and Tasks
The responsibilities of CASE Project Officer shall include, but not limited to, the following:
● support Project Manager in carrying out project activities including developing project concept, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation.
● facilitate contacts, manage relationships and uphold information flow with the political partner (Bappenas), all CASE consortium partners, relevant ministries, and stakeholders in Indonesia.
● provide inputs, reviews, and backstopping to documents and concepts, policy briefs, and initiatives that are prepared by the consortium partners.
● conduct stakeholder engagement activities and contribute to the development of and interactive regional knowledge platform.
● assist consultants and other experts and perform additional duties at the request of the Project Manager and Project Lead.
The tasks of CASE Project Officer shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. Dialogue and action for non-energy stakeholders
● help to identify relevant non-energy public stakeholders with high leverage potential
● lead the provision of training and skill development for non-energy stakeholders, such as NGOs, line ministries other than MEMR, etc.
● oversee/conduct a gap analysis and training needs assessment of energy stakeholders with a view towards increasing their understanding of the energy transition
● support international CASE consortium partners in their efforts to strengthen the capacity of nonenergy stakeholders.
2. Research and knowledge management
● provide inputs, review & backstopping of research documents and policy papers developed by consortium partners with relation to Indonesia;
● organizing quality assurance processes for research studies e.g. through national reviews
of deliverables, in close cooperation with consortium partners;
● support development and set-up of a regional interactive knowledge platform with CASE partners, and provide inputs from Indonesia perspective;
● collect, process, and distribute relevant information, communication, and interaction and prepare reports, presentations, etc. to disseminate knowledge about the energy transition and CASE;
● support other CASE consortium partners in their work to facilitate dialogue among energy stakeholders in Indonesia (by providing inputs, data, and materials, etc.)
3. Project management support
● participates and supports the preparation of regular consortium team meetings on national and regional level;
● work closely with GIZ Indonesia and the international consortium partners in the
implementation of the activities
4. Additional tasks
● perform other tasks (or duties) as assigned by the Project Lead and Project Manager
Qualifications, competencies, and experience
● Minimum Master Degree in the field of energy, climate, sustainability, environment, or any other field related to the project CASE;
● at least 2 (two) years of experience in/with and providing assistance to government, non-energy stakeholders and/or regional/international implementing organizations in the field of renewable energy and climate change mitigation;
● excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments and other stakeholders;
● excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English;
● strong organizational competence with good communication and coordination skills;
● ability to work in an intercultural environment;
● willingness to travel (abroad) when required.
Two years contract and can be extended, with 3 months probation. Expected starting in June 2021.
Email subject: VPA